The role of the governors
The governing body is a group of volunteers who bring skills from a variety of backgrounds to support the school and its head teacher by:
- Ensuring clarity of vision, ethos and strategic direction
- Holding the head teacher to account for the educational performance of the school and its pupils, and the performance management of staff
- Overseeing the financial performance of the school and making sure its money is well spent
The governors therefore provide strategic leadership and accountability in the school and they are responsible for appointing the head teacher and deputy head teacher, who have the responsibility of running the school.
The governors visit the school frequently to keep in touch and to fulfil their legal responsibilities. They keep themselves informed by using professional information resources, by getting advice from experts and by attending training sessions organised by the county council and other organisations.
You can find out more about what governors do from the National Governors’ Association here.
Constitution of the governing body
As a Church of England-controlled school, we have five kinds of governor:
- Two foundation governors appointed by the Church of England Diocese of Chichester
- One local authority governors appointed by West Sussex County Council
- Two parent governors elected by the parents
- Two staff governors (the headteacher and one elected by the staff)
- Four co-opted governors appointed by the governors to represent the local community and/or bring specific skills
We also have one (non-voting) associate governor appointed for specific skills and experience that benefit the school.
There are currently no committees and all members of the governing body attend every meeting. This is to ensure that all governors have a full understanding of all of the key aspects necessary for good governance.
Governors can be contacted via the following email.address, which forwards to the two co-chairs of governors (Hannah Pasfield and Neil Ryder): email@example.com
Governor details 2018-19
Minutes of governor meetings